Why be a Member of the Smithers Art Gallery?
The Art Gallery needs your support to remain the pre-eminent visual arts facility in the Bulkley Valley, showcasing the work of local and regional artists since 1971. The Gallery is almost entirely volunteer-run, and operates solely on grants and donations from the public. Your membership fees go directly to fund art exhibits, workshops, classes, kids' art camps and to building a vibrant arts community here in northwest BC.
The Annual Membership fee is still only $25.
Member discounts & benefits
- Discounts on Gallery art workshops, classes, and events.
- Reciprocal membership benefits and discounts at 27 participating art galleries and museums in BC, Alberta, Yukon, Ontario, and the USA (see Reciprocal Membership brochure attached below)
- Receiving special member bulletins and reminders of upcoming shows and events.
- Being featured in the Artist Directory on our website - a well-used resource for people looking to purchase artwork!
- Exhibiting work in the Gallery at a reduced commission rate
- Exhibiting in the bi-annual Members' Show
- Eligibility to take advantage of the Gallery's Payment Plan for the purchase of artwork
- A vote at the AGM
- Discounts at select Smithers' merchants and restaurants (see below):
How to become a member
Download a Membership Form from the link below and mail it with your payment (cash or cheque made payable to Smithers Art Gallery) to Box 122 Smithers, BC, V0J 2N0. We will mail you your membership card by return post.
Come by the Gallery during our open hours. Payment can be made by cash, cheque, credit, or debit.
Thank you for your support!
Having a meeting? Need a place to host an event or workshop?
Did you know the Smithers Art Gallery rents out the gallery space?
The gallery is available for rental outside of the hours we are open to the public. It has a well-lit interior with ample room for hosting events such as board meetings, workshops, and coffee houses. We have seating for approximately 40, trestle tables, a data projector, and a kitchen.
The rental cost is $15 per hour, and a $50 damage deposit is required. The damage deposit will be returned at the end of your event if no damage has been done to the gallery. Rental of the data projector is an additional $25 per day with a $250 damage deposit.
To book the Gallery drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on 250-847-3898 to make sure the date you are requesting is available - we will make a provisional booking for you which will be confirmed once you have signed the rental agreement and made payment.
The PDF version of the rental agreement can be found below. The completed form can be mailed to the Gallery, or dropped off during our hours of operation, along with all fees.
In 2011, the Smithers Art Gallery adopted a new strategic plan to develop a more efficient, effective, and productive system in which to operate. The plan aims to increase the diversity of our shows and events, increase public awareness of our organization and image, continue our community involvement and enrichment through art education, and increase our accessibility.
Click on the PDF files below for the complete Strategic Plan and Gallery Survey results!