Having a meeting? Need a place to host an event or workshop?
Did you know the Smithers Art Gallery rents out the gallery space?
The gallery is available for rental outside of the hours we are open to the public. It has a well-lit interior with great acoustics and ample room for hosting events such as meetings, workshops and music coffeehouses. The Central Park Building, the art gallery, and the washrooms are all wheelchair-accessible.
- 30 folding chairs
- five 6'x2.5' trestle tables
- data projector and portable screen
- kitchen facilities (sink, coffee-maker, kettle, microwave, crockery, and glasses)
$15 per hour* plus a separate $50 damage deposit. The damage deposit will be returned at the end of your event if no damage has been done to the gallery. Please include the time you will need for set-up and clearing up after your event in your rental booking.
Rental of the data projector is an additional $25 per day with a $250 damage deposit. The data projector and screen may only be used inside the gallery, off-site rental is not available.
* Please note that as of April 1, 2014 the rental fees for non-members will be increasing to $20/hr. The rate for members will remain at $15/hr. This is the first increase for many years and is to keep the fees in line with inflation and increased overhead costs. Memberships are $25, valid April 1 - March 31 - click here for more information on the benefits of membership and how to join.
How to book:
Contact us by phone or email to make sure the date you are requesting is available - we will make a provisional booking for you which will be confirmed once you have signed the rental agreement and made payment.
The PDF version of the rental agreement can be found below. The completed form can be mailed to the Gallery, or dropped off during our hours of operation, along with all fees.
In 2011, the Smithers Art Gallery adopted a new strategic plan to develop a more efficient, effective, and productive system in which to operate. The plan aims to increase the diversity of our shows and events, increase public awareness of our organization and image, continue our community involvement and enrichment through art education, and increase our accessibility.
Click on the PDF files below for the complete Strategic Plan and Gallery Survey results!
Why become a Member of the Smithers Art Gallery?
The Art Gallery needs your support to remain the pre-eminent visual arts facility in the Bulkley Valley, showcasing the work of local and regional artists since 1971. The Gallery is almost entirely volunteer-run, and operates solely on grants and donations from the public. Your membership fees go directly to fund art exhibits, workshops, classes, kids' art camps and to building a vibrant arts community here in northwest BC.
The Annual Membership fee is still only $25. Memberships are valid April 1 - March 31.
Member discounts & benefits
- Discounts on Gallery art workshops, classes, and events.
- Reciprocal membership benefits and discounts at 27 participating art galleries and museums in BC, Alberta, Yukon, Ontario, and the USA (see Reciprocal Membership brochure attached below)
- Receiving special member bulletins and reminders of upcoming shows and events.
- Being featured in the Artist Directory on our website - a well-used resource for people looking to purchase artwork!
- Exhibiting work in the Gallery at a reduced commission rate
- Exhibiting in the bi-annual Members' Show
- Eligibility to take advantage of the Gallery's Payment Plan for the purchase of artwork
- A vote at the AGM
- Discounts at select Smithers' merchants and restaurants (see below):
How to become a member
Download a Membership Form from the link below and mail it with your payment (cash or cheque made payable to Smithers Art Gallery) to Box 122 Smithers, BC, V0J 2N0. We will mail you your membership card by return post.
Come by the Gallery during our open hours. Payment can be made by cash, cheque, credit, or debit.
Thank you for your support!